Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Zoey's Second TPLO...

It's been a week Since Zoey's Second TPLO....Image may contain: dog
So she's out of the 'groggy' stage, and into the 'I just wanna run around all the time' stage...
Which, of course, is off-limits for another 12 weeks!


 Image may contain: dog  
These last few months have been rough - she's been in and out of pain a lot. We've done meds, surgery, more meds... physical therapy, rehab, stretching, massaging, walking... and now another surgery.
Many times as we started her PT routine, she would withdraw slightly and look at me - these stretches hurt. We both knew it hurt. I'd rub her neck and tell her to lay back down - knowing what was coming, she'd always oblige. Knowing that I was about to stretch that knee that was so sore, and that it was going to hurt - that I was about to hurt her again. She would look at my eyes, then submit. She knew what was coming, but my approval was worth it. Never did she attempt to protect herself from the pain - nor did she resent me for inflicting it. But when the exercises were through, she wanted only to be with me, to have my attention, my approval. And when I moved on to the next task, she was happier for having spent time with me.
My crazy dog... she wears her own backpack, runs perfectly next to my bike, basks in the sunshine, travels like a pro, camps like a champ, visits elderly in the nursing home, adores small children, loves other dogs, is afraid of cats, loves water, swims for rehab, runs on a treadmill, willingly learns new tricks in minutes for my film projects... and all for my approval! She follows me from room to room, not being a pest - just wanting to be close to me. She'll lay on her bed and just watch me - some days for hours - occasionally approaching, just to 'check in'. She trusts me enough to obey when she's afraid, and respects me enough to obey when she doesn't want to. She's sensitive to my corrections, and eager to please me...
Her attitude toward me, reminds me what my attitude ought to be toward my Jesus. Do I long to be in His presence? Do I long to just be near Him, day in and day out? Am I sensitive to His corrections, and eager to please Him? Do I willingly obey Him, even when I'm unsure, afraid, or in pain? Do I trust Him enough to obey in-spite of my fear, and respect Him enough to obey when I don't want to? Do I find my refuge in the shadow of His wing? Do I cry out to Him when I need something, or am hurting? Is pleasing Him, the very purpose of my existence?I'm so grateful for this canine! She has blessed me in ways I never saw coming, and I've seen God bless others through her in ways I never imagined possible.
It's true, she is 'only' a dog - but, as a good friend once commented about her backpack,
"There are no "only's when it comes to blessings."No automatic alt text available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments do not show up on the blog immediately... if you have asked a question or are awaiting a response, feel free to email (simplyolmstead@gmail.com). Thanks for visiting, we hope you come back soon!